[ncl-talk] Hovmoller Plot with 2d lat/lon (Y coordinates out of data range)

David Adams dave.k.adams at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:41:52 MDT 2014

Hi Mary et al.
I think I am misunderstanding how

  res at sfYArray = new_time
   res at sfXArray = new_lon

work.  Do I have to redefine the original variable new_temp in terms of
these dimensions?  And, if so, how?

I am getting this error.

    gsn_csm_contour: Fatal: the input data array must be 1D or 2D
fatal:Illegal right-hand side type for assignment
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 74 in file lon_time_plots.ncl

Here is the code.
thanks in advance,
Dave

;*********************************
; read variable
;*********************************
   f    = addfile("/home/dadams/Mini_Campaign_NAME/2013_GOES_data/test.nc
","r")
   new_temp    = f->new_temp          ; float new_temp(time, yc, xc)
;   printVarSummary(new_temp)
;*********************************
;
;*********************************
   new_lat  = f->new_lat
   new_lon  = f->new_lon
   time = f->time
   new_time = conform(new_lon(:,0,:),time,0)

;*********************************
; create plot
;*********************************
   pltName = "goes"
   pltType = "pdf"                             ; "ps", "eps", "pdf", "png"
   pltDir  = "./"

   wks = gsn_open_wks(pltType, pltDir+pltName)
   gsn_define_colormap(wks,"BlAqGrYeOrReVi200"); choose a color map

   res                     = True
   res at cnFillOn            = True            ; turn on color
   res at cnFillMode          = "RasterFill"    ; cell mode
   res at cnLinesOn           = False           ; Turn off contour lines

   res at sfYArray = new_time
   res at sfXArray = new_lon

   res at gsnSpreadColors     = True            ; use full colormap
   res at gsnAddCyclic        = False           ; data not cyclic
   res at gsnMaximize         = True            ; ps, pdf, pdf
   res at pmTickMarkDisplayMode = "Always"      ; use NCL default
   res at lbLabelAutoStride   = True            ; let NCL decide spacing
   res at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"  ;"ExplicitLevels"
   res at cnMinLevelValF       = 200.                            ; set the
minimum contour level
   res at cnMaxLevelValF       = 300.                          ; set the
maximum contour level
   res at cnLevelSpacingF      = 5.0                            ; set the
contour interval
   res at cnRasterSmoothingOn  = True
  res at lbLabelStride        = 5.0             ; every other label bar label

  plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks,new_temp, res)