[ncl-talk] A suggestion for reading variable from multiply files with different units.

Ping Huang ph0007 at ustc.edu
Tue Oct 7 17:47:02 MDT 2014

Dear NCL developers,

I have a suggestion for reading variable from multiply files with different units, like xxx = infile[:]->yyy.

Because of the constraint that one variable only has one unit, the unit in the first file is read in as the unit of input variable when reading multiply files.

Usually, there is no problem because the multiply files from same source often have same unit. However, when the units in the files are different, for example the units of time in some CMIP5 model outputs, the input unit does not match with the data in other files.

So, I suggest when reading multiply files the identity of all units should be checked. If the units are not identical, a warning should be given.

Best,

Ping Huang