[ncl-talk] Fw:question about function wmstnm

Zhu CE lovingzhuce at 163.com
Tue Nov 4 21:10:25 MST 2014

Dear Mary,

Script I used is same as you, which I download from weather map example page.

Have you found that no matter 'UNT' be set as '0' or '1', the precipitation amount is still in imperial unit? I have showed the 'UNT=0' and 'UNT=1' figures in attachment. (where the precipitation is 40mm actually)

I also read the wmstnm.f source code, and I find that the code transform the precipitation amount from WMO code into imperial unit. The source code is showed as below. My questions here are if I want to use metric unit in precipitation, can I just change the source code and rebuilt the NCL? Or are there any other ways I can try?

Thanks a lot!

Ce Zhu

      IF (IPRSNT(14).EQ.1 .AND. RRR.GT.0) THEN
        IF (RRR .EQ. 990) THEN
          CALL PLCHHQ(SYMPOS(1,14),SYMPOS(2,14),'T',SIZ,0.,0.)
          GO TO 75
        ENDIF
        IF (RRR .GT. 990) THEN
          INCHES = NINT(10.*REAL(RRR-990)/25.4)
        ELSE
          INCHES = NINT(100.*REAL(RRR)/25.4)
        ENDIF
        CHR5 = ' '
        WRITE(CHR5,'(I5)') INCHES
        LL = WMGTLN(CHR5,LEN(CHR5),1)
        CALL PLCHHQ(SYMPOS(1,14),SYMPOS(2,14),CHR5(LL:LEN(CHR5)),
     +              SIZ,0.,0.)
      ENDIF