[ncl-talk] Fwd: Plot grid values

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 24 14:27:39 MDT 2014

Did you see our wind barb page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/barb.shtml

This should work for gridded data which is either on a rectilinear grid,
and hence has coordinate arrays attached to the U and V variables, or on a
curvilinear grid, in which you have two-dimensional coordinate arrays for
the X and Y (or lat/lon) dimensions.

If you have a curvilinear grid that's over a map, then you will need to
attach the 2D lat/lon arrays to your u and v variables via the special
lat2d and lon2d attributes before you plot:

      u at lat2d = f->lat
      u at lon2d = f->lon
      v at lat2d = f->lat
      v at lon2d = f->lon

The above code snippet will have to be changed, of course, to match
whatever the lat/lon variables are called on your file.

If you are not drawing wind barbs over a map, then you need to provide the
2D coordinates via the vfXArray and vfYArrays.  See the "meteo_1.ncl"
example at:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/meteo.shtml

You will have to add the text strings yourself, though, probably via calls
to gsn_add_text.

--Mary