[ncl-talk] how to plot air parcel trajectories from wrf output?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 24 09:27:54 MDT 2014

If you are talking about plotting markers on a map, then I would use
gsn_add_polymarker over a WRF map.  See the attached example, which uses
wrf_map_resources and gsn_csm_map to create a blank map using the map
projection specified on the WRF output file.

Then, some dummy lat/lon locations are generated and drawn as brown dots on
the map.

You can use any marker index in the marker index table:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/markers.png

Or you can create your own set of markers using NhlNewMarker. This allows
you to use any character in any of NCL's font tables as a marker. See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/font_tables.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/NhlNewMarker.shtml

If you want to do a really nice 3D plot of air trajectories, I suggest
looking into using Vapor.

You can see some samples at:

https://www.vapor.ucar.edu/gallery/hurricane-sandy/hi-res

--Mary