[ncl-talk] problem in creating coordinate variable

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 2 16:34:49 MST 2014

Ipsita,

If you have 3 columns of data, where each column has 360*720 values, then
you will need to read them in as an n x 3 array as you are already doing,
but then use the "reshape" function to reshape the arrays into 2D arrays of
360 x 720.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/reshape.shtml

Your information about the ASCII data file is too vague.

I don't know what latitude index 108 or longitude index 523 represents in
terms of actual degrees. Do you have a description of this file that tells
you?  This responsibility falls on you to know this, and write the script
accordingly, because NCL can't make any assumptions on what the actual
values are.

Also, is this a rectilinear grid or a curvilinear grid? If you indeed have
a 360 x 720 array of unique latitude values, and a 360 x 720 array of
longitude values, then this is a curvilinear grid, and hence you cannot use
coordinate arrays in the way you were trying to do so in your original
script.

Please, in the future, you must include more information about your data,
because otherwise it creates a lot of back and forth emails with us trying
to figure it out.

--Mary