[ncl-talk] Issue with plotting Lambert Conformal Projection Datasets (potential metadata issue)

Alan Rhoades alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:59:54 MDT 2014

Hello,

I've been trying to analyze several Lambert Conformal Projection datasets
including: DayMet 1km and NARR 32km.

Prior to running my DayMet NCL script (see attached), I post-processed the
data using CDO and NCO to first split the yearly datasets into monthly
datasets (splitmon in CDO) and then create monthly average datasets (ncra
in NCO).  I do a similar methodology for the NARR dataset too.

For a while, I would get error messages from my NCL script indicating this:

"check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid
latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0)     A valid latitude coordinate array should have a 'units' attribute
equal to one of the following values:"

So, I added metadata assignments to my script to get around this error and
now the NCL script finishes (with no errors) and generates the *.eps file.
 However, the file is only 2.2 KB and is only a blank white box (see
attached).

Note: In the DayMet NCL script I have to flip the lat and lon indices for
the SNOWLIQ variable because when I ncview the data it is a mirror image of
what I actually want (might be a function of the CDO post-processing step).
 In my NARR dataset NCL script, I don't do this step, but still get a
similar outcome with a blank page and 2.2 KB *.eps file.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Here are my environmental specifics too:
-NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
-Each Daymet file = 282 MB, so unfortunately I won't be able to attach the
one specified in the NCL script
-Linux farm 3.11.0-20-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 21:32:49 UTC 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

All the best,

AR
--

*Alan Rhoades*
*PhD Student, Atmospheric Science Graduate Group*

*"It’s all really there. That’s what really gets you. But you gotta stop
and think about it to really get the pleasure about the complexity, the
inconceivable nature of nature."*
*Richard Feynman*