[ncl-talk] Legend

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:33:16 MDT 2014

Hi Guilherme,

Jonathan's solution sounds like a good one. There's no way to create this
kind of legend automatically.

You could also create a table of filled values, using gsn_add_polygon, by
attaching the filled values to a gsn_csm_blank_plot. This would then give
you an actual plot object which you can attach to the large map plot via
gsn_add_annotation.

Either way, if you do a contour plot or a "blank" plot, you can use
gsn_add_annotation, which makes it easier to resize the object as needed,
and then attach it to the outside of the bigger plot.

To see some examples of using gsn_csm_blank_plot (or gsn_blank_plot), go to:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/table.shtml

To then see an example of attaching a plot to another plot, go to:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/annotate.shtml

and look at examples #1, 3, 6, 9, and 10.

--Mary