[ncl-talk] Problem with overlay plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:21:09 MDT 2014

Ipsita,

I took this offline to ask Dennis about it. Here's what he responded:

There is no function to convert height to pressure.

[1] *If* she had temperature and surface geopotential she could use:

      https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/hydro.shtml

[2] If she does not have the above, there is no existing equation(s) that
can
     be used.

[3] A poor-man (poor-woman) approach would be to use

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/stdatmus_z2tdp.shtml

This maps the height into the U.S. Standard Atmosphere climatological
height.

---
z    = (/0, 100, 500, 7500, 25000, 84000 /)
tdp = stdatmus_z2tdp(z)    ; ===> tdp(3,6)
print(tdp(0,:)+"  "+tdp(1,:)+"   "+tdp(2,:))

---

0)      15        1.225       1013.25
(1)     14.35   1.21328   1001.29
(2)     11.75   1.16727     954.608
(3)     -33.75  0.556623   382.514
(4)     -51.5    0.0394658    25.1102
(5)     -84.5    8.05098e-06   0.00435981

--Mary