[ncl-talk] problem with ShadeGeLeContour

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 21 16:30:19 MDT 2014

Hi Deb,
Make sure you have actual contours at -0.1 and 0.1. gsn_contour_shade only
operates on the existing contour levels. So, in your case,  if you do not
have contours at -0.1 and 0.1 you will not get the expected results.

Try setting the levels like this:
res2 at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ExplicitLevels"
res2 at cnLevels = (/ -0.3,-0.2,-0.1,0,.1,.2,.3/)
opt at gsnShadeMid = 17
plot2   = gsn_csm_contour(wks,gsn_add_cyclic_point(cv), res2)
plot2   = gsn_contour_shade(plot2,-0.1,0.1 , opt)

If the results are still not what you want please respond to ncl-talk..
Adam

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:00 PM, debasish mazumder <debasish at ucar.edu>
wrote:

>  Hi Mary,
>
> The problem related error is solved with updated version but Script is not
> working properly.
> opt at gsnShadeMid = 17
> plot2   = gsn_csm_contour(wks,gsn_add_cyclic_point(cv), res2)
> plot2   = gsn_contour_shade(plot2,-0.1,0.1 , opt)
>
> istead of sheading the values between -0.1 and 0.1, It only shaded
> negative values.
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> with regards
> -Deb
>

> On 8/19/14 11:04 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
>
>  Hi Debasish,
>
>  No worries on posting to me directly.  Usually with NCAR visitors and
> employees I don't ask this, so my apologies there. However, I like to see
> messages go back to ncl-talk if possible so other folks can benefit from
> the answer.
>
>  From your script I was able to see what the problem was.  It looks like
> the code that shades for the middle shading values is incorrectly assuming
> that you have 2 or more contour levels that fall in this range.
>
>  This bug was inadvertently fixed in V6.2.1, in the process of enhancing
> the function for other purposes.
>
>  You can try the fix on yellowstone/geyser by loading a *test* 6.2.1
> version via the "module" command:
>
>  module swap intel gnu
> module load ncl/6.2.1
>
>  Let me know if this doesn't fix your problem.
>
>  Please be careful with this version because it is in heavy test mode and
> can get updated at any moment. We hope to release this version in the next
> 2 weeks.
>
>  --Mary
>

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM, debasish mazumder <debasish at ucar.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Mary,
>>
>> Sorry for directly email to you. I put my script and data in yellowstone
>> (scratch). Here is the path: /glade/scratch/debasish/ShadedPlot/
>> Please let me know if you have problem to open any files.
>>
>> I am using version 6.2.0.
>>
>> with regards
>> -Debasish
>>

>> On 8/19/14 11:36 AM, Mary Haley wrote:
>>
>>  Debasish,
>>
>>  Please respond back to ncl-talk with follow-up responses, if possible.
>>
>>  When you get an error like this, I need to see some code, or better,
>> get your full script and the data so I can run the problem here. It also
>> helps us to know which version of NCL you are using.
>>
>>  You can use our ftp to upload files if necessary:
>>
>>  http://ncl.ucar.edu/report_bug.shtml#HowToFTP
>>
>>  --Mary
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM, debasish mazumder <debasish at ucar.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi Mary,
>>> Thanks for your response. I have tried gsn_contour_shade but I am
>>> getting following error message
>>>
>>> fatal:Subscript out of range, error in subscript #0
>>> fatal:An error occurred reading ii
> [...]

Adam Phillips
Associate Scientist,  Climate and Global Dynamics Division, NCAR