[ncl-talk] Overlapping of tick marks in NCL-6.2.0

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 21 13:18:09 MDT 2014

Hi Deniz,

Since I can't run the script, I'm not exactly sure what's going on.  Can
you try also setting:

res at gsnTickMarksOn = False

to see what happens?  I don't think this will do the right thing, and it's
not a good solution, but it's worth a shot as a work-around.

In general, I recommend that people not use gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map,
especially if they are using it to draw both filled contours and vectors,
because it is hard to customize the contours separately from the vectors.

I would suggest perhaps using gsn_csm_contour_map to generate the contours,
gsn_csm_vectors to generate the vectors, and the "overlay" to overlay the
two plots.

See the attached UNTESTED modification of your code.

By the way, I noticed you are setting both:

res at mpMinLatF = latsouth
res at mpMaxLatF = latnorth
res at mpMinLonF = lonwest
res at mpMaxLonF = loneast

and:

res at mpLimitMode       = "Corners"
res at mpLeftCornerLatF  = lat2d(0,0)
res at mpLeftCornerLonF  = lon2d(0,0)
res at mpRightCornerLatF = lat2d(nlon-1,nlat-1)
res at mpRightCornerLonF = lon2d(nlon-1,nlat-1)

The mpMin/MaxLat/LonF resources are going to be ignored, because you've set
"mpLimitMode" to "corners", and it will then only look for the
mpLeft/RightCorner resources.

Finally, I'm not sure why you are using gsn_panel to panel just one plot.
 It looks like you are trying to customize the labelbar with this method.
 If you use the steps I described above, then I think you will find that
it's easier to customize the labelbar associated with the contour/map plot.

--Mary