[ncl-talk] extract some grids with given lat and lon from global netcdf

Jiaxin Zhang jiaxinzhang3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 18:29:08 MDT 2014

Thank you so much, Dennis!

I only have a couple of questions:

- After reading the documentation for linint2_points_Wrap, it is not very
clear how the extracted values were obtained. After checking the extracted
values for the variable in 3 sites using your script, it seems that these
exact same values (9.391546, 4.136703, 7.228534) were not present in the
original file (glodal netcdf). Is this correct? Does this mean that the
bilinear interpolation uses information from some of the closest grids to
extract the value? Is it possible to extract exactly the same value that is
in the only 1 grid in the global netcdf that contains the site using
linint2_points_Wrap? Could you please clarify this?

- In case I would need to do something similar but need to extract a
region, instead of different points, from the global netcdf. Is there a
similar function to linint2_points_Wrap but for region instead of points?

Thank you.

Jiaxin