[ncl-talk] average plots difficulties

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:00:59 MDT 2014

Saurabh,

In order to help you, we need to know more about the type of data you have,
and what kind of hourly data you have.  There are many ways to calculate
averages across time, but it is very specific to your data.

For example, if you have hourly data, then this means that the "time"
dimension of your array should be a multiple of 24.

Let's further assume you wanted to calculate a 3-hour average, so,
averaging hours 0-2, 3-5, 6-8, ... 21-23.

What you can do is use "reshape" to restructure the 24 hours into a 3 x
8*ndays array, making it easier to do the 3-hour average.

Using your script, and assuming that slp is 3D and the time array is a
multiple of 24, here's what the code might look like:

a = addfiles(FILES+".nc","r") ; Open all files

slp = wrf_user_getvar(a,"PSFC",-1) ; Get sea level pressure for all times

;---Assuming "slp" is 3-dimensional
slp_dims = dimsizes(slp)
ntim     = slp_dims(0)
nlat     = slp_dims(1)
nlon     = slp_dims(2)

ndays       = ntim/24   ; This better be a multiple of 24!
slp4D       = reshape(slp,(/3,8*ndays,nlat,nlon/))
copy_VarAtts(slp,slp4D)

slp_3hr_avg = dim_avg_n_Wrap(slp4D,0)   ; 8*ndays x nlat x nlon

I typed this in a hurry. If you have further questions, please first visit
our posting guidelines, which give you information about where to find help:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/posting_guidelines.shtml

--Mary