[ncl-talk] Calculating Geostrophic Winds in the WRF using NCL

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 12 08:40:21 MDT 2014

Brian,

wrfhelp is being cc'd. They are the WRF experts and may know how to compute
geostrophic winds.

===

You have obviously put a lot of work into trying to derive geostrophic
winds from WRF variables. Unfortunately, the steps you have used will not
return the results you wish. A few comments:

[0]
The ftp area was 100% full. Thus, your files could not be accommodated. The
IT people have cleaned up the ftp file system. That said, transmitting 9GB
file(s) is not commonly done for ncl-talk related questions. You should use
tools (say, netCDF operators or NCL) to subset the data. For example, only
one time step.
                 ncks -O -d Time,0 WrfBigFile.nc  WrfLittleFile.nc

[1]
z2geos works *only* for rectilinear grids with variables on isobaric
levels. The documentation has been changed to make this more explicit.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/z2geouv.shtml

**Generally,** WRF grids are curvilinear. The following operation does
*not* make make a curvilinear grid and rectilinear grid

                  lat  = f->XLAT(0,:,0)        ; lat(south_north)
                  lon  = f->XLONG(0,0,:)    ; lon(west_east)

Yes, lat and lon are one-dimensional BUT they do not represent a
rectilinear grid orientation.
Use of the above lat & lon would be erroneous. You will get numbers but
they are not the correct numbers.

[2]
Using, say, the ESMF regridding to interpolate the WRF curvilinear gridded
data to a rectilinear grid is a possibility *if* working with data on a
rectilinear grid is adequate for the problem you wish to address.

[a] Attached is a simple (*untested*) function that will interpolate a WRF
(mass) variable on eta levels to user specified isobaric levels;.

     function eta2isop_wrf(fwrf, varName[1]:string, prs_iso[*]:numeric \
                                       ,itime:integer, linlog[1]:integer,
opt[1]:logical)
  Usage:
        f = addfile(...)    , or,   f = addfiles(...)

        plev = (/ 1000,925,850,700,600,500,400,300,250 \   ; integer,
float, double
                    ,  200,150,100,70,50/)
        plev!0     = "plev"
        plev at units = "hPa"

        linlog = 0
        itime  = -1
        z_iso = eta2isop_wrf(f, "geopotential", plev, itime, linlog, False)

[b] You could now use z2geouv to calculate the geostrophic components

[c] Unfortunately, reinterpolating the components [b] back to the WRF grid
will not yield geostrophic winds.

===
Hopefully, wrfhelp can provide some information or talk with your advisor.

Good Luck