[ncl-install] Trouble installing ncl v6.5.0 on MacOS_10.13

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 26 11:49:35 MDT 2018

Hi Mike,

How are you installing NCL on your machine? Did you download one of the .tar.gz files from our website <https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.650.dap/file.html>, are you building it from source, or did you install it using Homebrew?

If you are installing from a .tar.gz file from our website, then your sysadmin’s analysis is correct; the Homebrew-provided gcc/gfortran libraries have never seemed to work quite right with our precompiled binary releases of NCL. We generally recommend installing GCC 7.x from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/ <http://hpc.sourceforge.net/>, as this is the version of gcc/gfortran that we use to build our Mac binaries. (See our installation documentation <https://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml#InstallCompilers> for more info.)

If you are using another installation method, please let us know so that we can continue troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Kevin