[ncl-install] Trouble installing ncl v6.5.0 on MacOS_10.13

Michael Toy - NOAA Affiliate michael.toy at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 26 11:13:26 MDT 2018

Hello,

I have a new Mac laptop running macOS 10.13.6 and I’m having trouble getting NCL v6.5.0 to work on it.  There seem to be dynamic library issues.  The error message I get when trying to launch ncl is:
> ncl
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.4.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/ncl/bin/ncl
  Reason: image not found
Abort

Our sysadmin, who’s helping me install this, thinks there is an incompatibility with the versions of gcc and gfortran that are loaded.

GCC:
> gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.10.44.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

GFORTRAN:
> gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (Homebrew GCC 8.2.0) 8.2.0

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mike

—————————
Michael Toy
Research Scientist, Model Development Branch
NOAA Earth System Research Lab, GSD
325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado
Michael.Toy at noaa.gov
+1-303-497-4061