[ncl-install] Issue installing NCL with conda

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed May 30 11:46:26 MDT 2018

Hi Alex,

You’re welcome! I’m glad the fix worked.

That is correct, “conda update --all -c conda-forge” recalculates dependencies for your environment while attempting to prioritize newer versions, upgrading/downgrading packages as needed to make sure everything is as compatible as possible. Specifically, running “conda update” with “--all” ensures that all packages in the environment are considered when performing dependency checks, rather than simply updating a particular package to the newest version. Also, including “-c conda-forge” is necessary to avoid accidentally installing packages from the “defaults” channel, which would likely break some of the conda-forge packages.

The dependency calculation should be the same for both “conda create ...” and “conda update --all”, so I’m not sure exactly what happened that could have caused your broken environment. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue for you in the future.

Thanks,
Kevin