[ncl-install] Please help visualizing data

Mario Naranjo naranjom at unm.edu
Thu Mar 8 20:04:18 MST 2018

Hello All,

I have recently begun working on my research using a program called PALM.  They have a built in script that makes use of NCL to visualize the data output.  I have made several unsuccessful attempts to make use of it and keep getting the error:

ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have followed the steps on your Download/linux.shtml page, with the following results:

input:  locate libgfortran.so.3
output:  /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgfortran.so.3
             /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgfortran.so.3.0.0

input:  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
output:  ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3:               cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

input:  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
output:  ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3:               wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Please help me figure out how to make use of NCL to visualize my data.  The data is in an NetCDF file.

Best Regards,

Mario R. Naranjo