[ncl-install] Error in running ncargf90

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 29 08:22:31 MST 2018

Dear Yuanfu,

Sorry it took me awhile to put a beta version together.

To install the beta version of NCL, you need to download a compressed tar
file, and then extract it in a directory of your choice. We recommend that
you NOT install it over your current version of NCL, as this is a beta
version and shouldn't be used for production purposes.

First, open a UNIX terminal window so you can type the commands below.

To get the compressed tar file, you can use wget or ftp. Type one of the
following sets of commands:

    wget ftp.ucar.edu:/pub/scd/haley/
ncl_ncarg-6.5.0-29Jan2018_0752.MacOS_10.12_64bit_gnu630.tar.gz

OR:

    ftp ftp.ucar.edu

    <log in as "anonymous">

    <Use email address as password>

    cd pub/scd/haley

    get ncl_ncarg-6.5.0-29Jan2018_0752.MacOS_10.12_64bit_gnu630.tar.gz

    quit

Please note you can't list the contents of this directory, and you have to
type the exact name of the file as you see it above.

Once you have the file, you need to extract it wherever you want the
software to reside. For example, if you want the software in
/usr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta, type the following:

   mkdir /usr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta

   tar -zxf ncl_ncarg-6.5.0-29Jan2018_0752.MacOS_10.12_64bit_gnu630.gz -C /u
sr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta

You can then remove the file
ncl_ncarg-6.5.0-29Jan2018_0752.MacOS_10.12_64bit_gnu630.tar or save it
somewhere.

You also need to setenv NCARG_ROOT to /usr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta, and make
sure /usr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta/bin is on your search path.

   export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta

   export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH

You can quickly test if this all works by typing:

   which ncl

   ncl -V

   ng4ex xy01n -W x11 -clean

The first command should echo the full path to the new "ncl" executable:

  /usr/local/ncl-6.5.0-beta/bin/ncl

The second command should echo a version, like:

   6.5.0-29Jan2018_0752

The third command should pop up an X11 window with an XY plot. Click on
this window with your left mouse button and it will go away.

If any of these commands don't work, please copy and paste all the stuff
you typed and the errors, and send it back to ncl-install at ucar.edu.