[ncl-install] A problem about NCL installation on Mac system

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 19 12:17:34 MDT 2017

Hi Yunpeng,

I think that the $NCARG_LIB and $NCARG_INC environment variables are unnecessary in your situation; just setting $NCARG_ROOT should be enough.

NCL makes certain assumptions about the directory structure under $NCARG_ROOT, but $NCARG_LIB and $NCARG_INC (as well as several other variables <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Language/env.shtml>) can be used to override these assumptions. Normally, when NCL tries to load the sysresfile or access color maps, it assumes that the relevant files are located in $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg.

However, when $NCARG_LIB is set, any file that is usually found under $NCARG_ROOT/lib is instead assumed to be located in the same relative path under $NCARG_LIB. For example, instead of finding the sysresfile at $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/sysresfile (/Users/yunpengshan/equipment/researchtools/NCL640/lib/ncarg/sysresfile), NCL assumes it should look for $NCARG_LIB/ncarg/sysresfile (/Users/yunpengshan/equipment/researchtools/NCL640/bin/ncarg/sysresfile), and I believe this may be causing the warnings you observed.

I hope this helps,
Kevin