[ncl-install] Can't install NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 14 12:36:03 MDT 2017

Dear Zhuldyz Darynova,

You need to subscribe to ncl-install before you can send email to it:

We do not have a pure Windows version of NCL, so that's why the
instructions are more complex.  You basically have two options:

1) Install Cygwin/X and run NCL from that application.
2) Install Windows 10 and the Linux subsystem and run NCL in that
environment.

We recommend option #2, but you would need to upgrade to Windows 10 first.

If you can't upgrade to Windows 10, then you can only go with option #1.

Instructions for downloading and installing Cygwin/X can be found here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/windows_cygwin.shtml

Hopefully the step-by-step instructions are pretty clear.  You only need to
do these steps once, and you will then be able to run NCL on your system
just by opening a Cygwin/X window and running the "ncl" command from there.

For a video on installing Cygwin, you can google for "video on how to
install Cygwin//x".

Here's one I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxEH_tr7e0

Note: this video is for Cygwin and not Cygwin/X, but the instructions are
pretty much the same. You just want to point your browser at x.cygwin.org
instead of cygwin.com, and you want to download the "setup-x86.exe" program
instead of "setup.exe".

At the 4:12 point in the video, it talks about how to select various
packages for Cygwin. The URL
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/windows_cygwin.shtml> I gave you above
gives you a list of Cygwin packages that you need, so be sure to watch this
part of the video for an understanding of how to get the various packages
required. You don't need to install all the packages that the instructor is
talking about, but you can use the same method he uses to install the ones
required by NCL.

I did find a video explicitly for installing Cygwin/X, but the video is
fuzzy on my high-res Mac monitor and it has some weird elevator music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWFnpRy6Ug

Good luck,

--Mary