[ncl-install] 6.4. source rpm

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 10 15:29:09 MST 2017

Hi Frank,

We've actually never done RPMs for NCL. For the 6.4.0 release, we do have a
conda version:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml

which is package manager that is popular with Python users.

We've generally stayed away from RPMs because it makes it harder for us to
get valuable metrics on who's downloading the software. Our government
occasionally requires us to provide metrics on the usage of our software,
in order to justify receiving continued funding to develop it.

Let me get back to you on this, however. I will write to the person who has
done Linux RPMs for NCL in the past, and ask if this is something he plans
to continue. We will also try to do some research soon to see what it takes
to create an RPM ourselves.

--Mary