[ncl-install] Plotting example failure for NCL 6.40 under Ubuntu

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 6 14:19:32 MST 2017

Hi John,

This is a known issue that we see on Ubuntu systems.

Hopefully the binary you have comes with a "fixed" binary called
"ncl.xq.fix".

Try this:

First verify that you have ncl.xq.fix and that it echoes version 6.4.0:

which ncl.xq.fix
ncl.xq.fix -V

If it appears to be there, then type this:

ng4ex gsun01n -n
ncl.xq.fix gsun01n.ncl

If this seems to work, then you can move "ncl" to something else, and move
"ncl.xq.fix" to "ncl":

mv $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl.bad
mv $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl.xq.fix $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl

You can now use "ncl" as before.

If you don't have "ncl.xq.fix", then let me know which binary you
downloaded, and I'll see if I can get one for you.

--Mary