[ncl-install] NCL Ubuntu

HAVENER, KEVIN F GS-12 USAF ACC 14 WS/WXED kevin.havener at us.af.mil
Tue Jan 17 06:00:57 MST 2017

If you don't need 6.1.2, then I'd suggest 'sudo apt-get remove ncl" it.  If you really need both versions then you need to de-conflict the two installations.  If you use the commands that Mary gave you, you will see that your Ubuntu is trying to use the 6.1.2 version.  I have successfully used the Ubuntu installed version and a newer version in the past but I forget the mojo.    It does matter where and when you set your NCARG_ROOT.  One possible error:  assuming bash, you set it in your .bash_profile, not your .bashrc.  In this situation your login shell knows NCARG_ROOT, but no other terminal you open will.  So either don't set it in .bash_profile or have bash_profile source .bashrc as the last act in your .bash_profile.

I think also if you do the 'env' command below, I think you will find that the Ubuntu package sets some other environment variables that are similar to, but different than 'NCARG_ROOT'.  You will need to figure out how to unset those.  Easiest way is to remove 6.1.2, which I highly recommend.

Kevin Havener