[ncl-install] [ncl-talk] adding multiple files

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Sat Apr 1 12:04:39 MDT 2017

[1]
Please subscribe to ncl-talk at ucar.edu
No further 'applications' related questions will be answered on this list.

[2]
I have placed a version of the CRU data that spans all years at:

  ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
  anonymous
  your_email
  cd pub/shea
  ls
  prompt
  get cru_ts3.23.1901.2014.pet.dat.nc.gz
  quit

[3]
NCL will not unzip the data. You must do that!

%> gzip -d cru_ts3.23.1901.2014.pet.dat.nc.gz

[4]
BEFORE DOING ANYTHING: ***LOOK AT THE DATA FILE! ***

%> ncdump -h cru_ts3.23.1901.2014.pet.dat.nc | less

or

%> ncl_filedump cru_ts3.23.1901.2014.pet.dat.nc | less

Look at dimension sizes; look at variable names; look at units; look at
variable types; look at global attributes.

After doing that .... look some more!!!!

[5]
Extract **and*** examine extracted the variable.  Use NCL syntax for
coordinate variables:  {...}

   latS = ...          ; latitudes span -89.87 to 89.75
   latN = ...
   lonL = ...         ; longitudes span -179.75 to 179.75
   lonR = ...

   f = addfile("cru_ts3.23.1901.2014.pet.dat.nc" ,"r")
   x = f->pet(:,{latS:latN},{lonL:lonR})
   printVarSummary(x)
   printMinMax(x)
   print("----")

;
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/stat_dispersion.shtml

  opt = True
  opt at PrintStat = True
  stats = *stat_dispersion*(x, opt )

[6]
Please read NCL documentation:   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/

In particular: the following tutorial may be of some help to you.
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/NCL_User_Guide/