[ncl-install] Ncl Mac Troubleshooting

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 14 13:39:22 MDT 2016

Thomas,

I think you found an out-dated link that contained a special binary we
created for somebody.

We recommend these download instructions:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml

[1] The first step is to "download the appropriate binary" for your system.
I suggest downloading one of our precompiled binaries for MacOS:

OPeNDAP-enabled:
https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.630.0.html

Non OPeNDAP-enabled:
https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.630.1.html

With either link, click on the "Download Options" link and select the
binary that has "MacOS_10.10" in the name, which should be compatible for
your 10.11 system.

[2] The second step is to decide where you want NCL V6.3.0 to reside on
your system, and then extract the gzipped tar files from this location.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#ExtractFile

[3] The third step is to set/update the NCARG_ROOT and PATH environment
variables:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetNCARG_ROOT

[4] The final step is to test your NCL installation. You can type these
commands:

    ncl -V

and

  ng4ex xy01n -clean