[ncl-install] NCL/PyNGL Anaconda test - Some result

Shi-Pei Hsu hsushipei1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 22:58:00 MST 2016

Hi NCL-install team,
        I'm running a 64-bit Linux and I chose Miniconda as environment and
package manager. The environment set-up and installation of both NCL and
PyNGL works successfully (No error messages came out).
        After NCL and PyNGL are installed, I've done some simple
functionality testing for them.(I guess this section will be the next
goal?) Tests I've done are shown in the table below.

NCL

PyNIO+PyNGL

Functionality testing

Result

Functionality testing

Result

“ng4ex gsun01n –clean” command

Passed

In python shell, type“import Nio” and “import Ngl”

No error message

Run examples provided by NCL website. For example, “maponly_3.ncl” and
“mptick5.ncl”

Got output: “Segmentation fault”

Run file “test2.7.sh” provided in PyNGL source code package.

Output message is below:

*ma_test.py:10: RuntimeWarning: tempnam is a potential security risk to
your program*

*  filename = os.tempnam(None, 'test_')*

*......*

*Ran 6 tests in 0.024s*

*OK*

*warning:Can't map type, netCDF does not support 64 bit longs, NCL will try
to promote type to double, errors may occur*

*warning:Can't map type, netCDF does not support 64 bit longs, NCL will try
to promote type to double, errors may occur*

*warning:Can't map type, netCDF does not support 64 bit longs, NCL will try
to promote type to double, errors may occur*

*warning:Can't map type, netCDF does not support 64 bit longs, NCL will try
to promote type to double, errors may occur*

*Nio.NIOError: coercing 8-byte long data to 4-byte integer variable (v44):
possible data loss due to overflow*

*test_mfio.py:10: RuntimeWarning: tempnam is a potential security risk to
your program*

*  filename = os.tempnam(None, 'test_')*

*..........*

*Ran 10 tests in 0.081s*

*OK*

*var-sub-test.py:10: RuntimeWarning: tempnam is a potential security risk
to your program*

*  filename = os.tempnam(None, 'test_')*

*....*

*Ran 4 tests in 0.015s*

*OK*

*syntax error, unexpected WORD_STRING, expecting WORD_WORD*

*context: Error { code = 1; message = "Cannot locate resource:
http://test.opendap.org/opendap/hyrax/data/nc/123.nc.dds
<http://test.opendap.org/opendap/hyrax/data/nc/123.nc.dds>"^;};*

*fatal:Could not open (http://test.opendap.org/opendap/data/nc/123.nc
<http://test.opendap.org/opendap/data/nc/123.nc>)*

*Traceback (most recent call last):*

*  File "test-opendap2.py", line 20, in <module>*

*    f = Nio.open_file(url + filename)*

*  File
"/home/hsushipei/miniconda2/envs/pyngl_test/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyNIO/Nio.py",
line 735, in open_file*

*    file = _Nio.open_file(filename,mode,options,history,format)*

*Nio.NIOError: Unable to open file*

Thanks!

Best regards,

She-Pei