[ncl-install] NCL V6.3.0 works under Windows 10 (under Cygwin/X)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Jul 24 16:01:41 MDT 2016

Good news for people wondering if they can still run NCL if they upgrade to
Windows 10:

I went through the admittedly torturous process of updating my Windows 7
system to Windows 10. I verified that I could still use the NCL 6.3.0
Cygwin binary that I had installed under Windows 7 and the older Cygwin.

After Windows 10 was installed, I upgraded X/Cygwin by downloading and
running the latest setup-x86.exe program from http://x.cygwin.com/. This
took about 20 minutes and didn't have any problems. I didn't have to select
any new packages, because the setup program recognized what old versions of
software I had (like gcc and gfortran), and automatically upgraded all of
these for me.

One thing that is different is in how you start an X11 "xterm"
application.  Running "xterm" is necessary if you want to run NCL scripts
that display the graphics to an X11 window.

If you always send your graphics to a file, like a PNG, PS, or PDF files,
then you can simply run NCL scripts from within a Cygwin Window.

To start an X11 xterm:

   - Run Cygwin (a Cygwin Terminal window should pop up)

   - Type "startxwin" inside this terminal window. A tiny X logo should
   show up on your task bar (on my screen in was in the lower right of the
   screen).

   - Left-click on the this X logo and a menu should pop up. Select "System
   Tools -> XTerm" and an xterm should start up.

   - You can now run NCL scripts inside this xterm, including those that
   display their graphics to an X11 window.