[ncl-install] Ncl installation for ubuntu

HAVENER, KEVIN F GS-12 USAF ACC 14 WS/WXED kevin.havener at us.af.mil
Wed Dec 14 06:08:48 MST 2016

Firstly, if you are using a Ubuntu or deb package, I don't know why you'd have to make the sym links.  Generally the package manager takes care of that.  Secondly, I don't trust the Ubuntu package--I think it only install ncl and not ncar graphics, which I think is throwing the error you see.  NCAR Graphics is rarely needed anway.  But there are better options for Ubuntu:

1) I use Ubuntu as well, and I've had better luck with the NCAR's Debian tarballs at https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.630.1/file.html.  Just pick the Debian tarball that most closely represents your Ubuntu version.

2) Another, even better option is to use the conda option at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml.

Kevin Havener