[ncl-install] ncl on Cray systems

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 22 09:53:00 MDT 2016

Hi folks,

The NCARG_USRRESFILE is only needed if you are trying to run NCL from login
that doesn't have a home directory. The problem is that NCL tries to open
the file "~/.hluresfile" and it fails if there is no home directory on the
system.

You can create a dummy file, calling it whatever you want, and then you can
put it wherever you want (I suggest somewhere under $NCARG_ROOT), and then
set NCARG_USRRESFILE to point to the the full path to the file. I.E.?

export NCARG_USRRESFILE $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncdarg/hluresfile_dummy

[This should be fixed in the next release of NCL.]

--Mary