[ncl-install] Problem installing NCL using conda

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 4 10:29:12 MDT 2016

Hi Justin,

Some of this conda stuff is still a work in progress, so sometimes issues
like this pop up.  Thanks for the feedback.  As a workaround for your
problem, I recommend installing NCL in to its own conda environment.  This
should isolate NCL from the netcdf libraries that ship with anaconda or the
default channels.  We should have all this cleaned up when we officially
launch the next version of NCL.

For now, to create a conda environment, run:

conda create -n ncl_env -c dbrown -c khallock ncl

This will install ncl in to its own environment named 'ncl_env'.

To activate the environment, run:

source activate ncl_env

Once activated, you should be able to run:

ncl -V

To deactivate when you are finished, run:

source deactivate

If this doesn't work, please report back to ncl-install and we'll work on a
fix for you.

Hope this helps,

Bill