[ncl-install] ncl command not found

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Oct 12 20:30:07 MDT 2014

Whenever you get a "command not found", this is a UNIX error telling you
that your PATH is not set up to find the executable you are trying to
execute.

In order to run "ncl", you need to set the NCARG_ROOT to the *parent*
directory of where you installed the software, and then you need to add
$NCARG_ROOT/bin to your search path.

You can verify if you did this by typing:

env | grep NCARG_ROOT

and then:

echo $PATH

to see if whatever "$NCARG_ROOT/bin" expands to is on the $PATH list.

--Mary