[ncl-install] mac installation issue

Ning Li ning.li at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 19 23:37:17 MDT 2014

Dear NCl users,
I am very new to NCL and would like to install NCL on my MAC laptop.
It seems I have done the downloading and setting environment variable parts successfully, but
when I run ng4ex gsun01n -clean (the example on NCL website) to see if the installation is completed.
what is returned by bash is:
NCAR Graphics NCL Example <gsun01n>
...[omitted]
    Copy gsun01n.ncl
cp: ./gsun01n.ncl: Permission denied

Running NCL...
gsun01n.ncl: No such file or directory.

ncl failed.
I am not familiar with command lines at all so I suspect I've done something wrong.
Below is the environment variable and system information if that helps to understand what
is going on..
export NCARG_ROOT=/Users/Crystal/usr/local/ncl-6.2.0
export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH
The 'ncl-6.2.0' directory contains 3 folders: 'bin','include' and 'lib'.

The version of NCL I downloaded is 'ncl_ncarg-6.2.0.MacOS_10.8_64bit_nodap_gcc471.tar' and I
am able to unzip the tarfile. The Mac version is 10.8.5.

I am really hoping to get NCL installed as it seems to have excellent functionality for climate analysis!

Thank you all

Crystal (Ning) LI

PhD candidate
School of Environment