[ncl-install] ncl 6.2.0 ncargex compile/link error

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed May 14 09:05:46 MDT 2014

Hi Romy,

If you are only interested in running NCL (i.e. "ncl my_script.ncl"), then you don't need to worry if the "ncargex cpex08" test is not working. This test is for people who are using the old C or Fortran NCAR Graphics interface.

The basic test for ncl is:

   ng4ex gsun01n -clean

This should pop up a window with a graphic, and you need to click on this window with your left-mouse to advance to the next graphic, until you have gone through all of them.

If you need to get "ncargex cpex08" working for some reason, then you can try compiling the "cpex08" program without "-liconv" or you need install iconv on your system.  Are you on a Mac? If so, this is a system library which I believe is part of the Apple Developers Tools.

--Mary