[ncl-install] install question

Tianyi Zhang tianyi1 at ksu.edu
Thu Jun 12 19:02:05 MDT 2014

Dear all,

I am a new to NCL and try to learn the language. But I take one day to install it but it was turned out a vein effort.
Please kindly give me some instruction on how to install it.

I try to install it on the Beocat cluster in Kansas State University. I followed the steps on website. Everything is OK until I try to test if NCL is installed propoetly.

Now when I type ncl in CMD. It entered NCL but gave me some warnings:

ncl: /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ncl)
 Copyright (C) 1995-2014 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.2.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

And when I try to test it by typeing "ng4ex gsun01n -clean". This should give me a sin-likely curve, but it give me that:

NCAR Graphics NCL Example <gsun01n>

This example was set up to display the output to an
X11 window.

  Copying gsun01n.ncl

Running NCL...
ncl: /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ncl)
ncl: /usr/lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2: no version information available (required by ncl)
 Copyright (C) 1995-2014 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.2.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
 GKS ERROR NUMBER -208 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GOPWK :
 --X driver error: DISPLAY environment variable not set
 GKS ERROR NUMBER   25 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GESC  :
 --SPECIFIED WORKSTATION IS NOT OPEN
fatal:Workstation with PID#8 is not open
fatal:Unable to open Workstation-Can't Create
fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4
fatal:_NhlCreate:Invalid Parent id #-4
fatal:NhlGetValues:PID #-4 is invalid
fatal:["Execute.c":8567]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 12075 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8565]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 12

Finished running 'ncl < gsun01n'...

Please kindly give me sonme instructions. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Tianyi?