[ncl-install] ncl -V gives no output

Jehan Rihani jehan.rihani at fulbrightmail.org
Wed Jul 16 05:31:32 MDT 2014

Dear NCL support,

I just installed the cygwin-64bit version of ncl
(ncl_ncarg-6.2.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64_i686) following the instructions on the
ncl website (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml). I didn't have
any problems during installation but when performing the checks at the end:

ncl -V

and

cp $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/xyplot/xy04n.ncl .

ncl xy04n.ncl

I get no screen output. No error appears but nothing else happens either. I
copied below the .hluresfile I'm using. Any help or suggestions is much
appreciated. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jehan

!=========================================

! This is a sample .hluresfile. It should

! go in your home directory.

!

! Comments for ".res" files are preceded by a "!".

! Remember quotations are not used in .res files.

! White background/black foreground, these are the default in V6.1.0

*wkForegroundColor  : (/0.,0.,0./)

*wkBackgroundColor  : (/1.,1.,1./)

! Have a favorite colormap that you use for everything? You can

! make it your default here (note the name is NOT in quotes).

!

! In Version 6.1.0, the default is "ncl_default":

! http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/ncl_default.shtml

!

! For all available color maps, see

! http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/color_table_gallery.shtml

*wkColorMap         : BlueWhiteOrangeRed

! Font - this is the default in V6.1.0.

! Use times-roman to get the pre-V6.1.0 default.

*Font           : helvetica

! Function Codes [Default is a colon]

*TextFuncCode               : ~

! Make default X11 window larger (adjust as necessary)

*wkWidth                     : 800

*wkHeight                    : 800

! Increase the default (16mb) contour memory

! For example, if you have gridded data that

! is larger than 500 x 500, you may need this.

*wsMaximumSize: 32556688