[ncl-install] NCARG_ROOT

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 21 15:21:19 MST 2014

Hi Dave,

NCARG_ROOT needs to be set to the location where you see the "bin", "lib" and "include" directories that got created when you extracted the file.

You currently have "bin", "lib", and "include" in your Download directory, which is not a recommended permanent place to install software.

Normally I would suggest extracting the software in a directory like /usr/local. If you don't have permissions to do that, then you can put it somewhere in your home directory under a directory called "NCL", like "/home/dknollhoff/NCL"  and then setting NCARG_ROOT to /home/dknollhoff/NCL

Did you read this section on how to set NCARG_ROOT for your system:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetNCARG_ROOT

--Mary