[ncl-install] NCARG_ROOT

dknollhoff at gvtc.com dknollhoff at gvtc.com
Mon Jan 20 19:28:45 MST 2014

I have downloaded the precompiled binary, ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_x86_64_nodap_gcc445.tar.gz. I extracted the software to the my Download directory. The .gz file was removed. Three directories (bin, include and lib) were created. I do not understand where to set the NCARG_ROOT environment variable? What is the naming convention of the NCL executables and accompanying files and what subdirectory might they found in? There are examples of how to set the environment variable, but I can not seem to find any of the example files on my linux system?

Thank you,

Dave