[ncl-install] Problem with NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 17 13:16:29 MST 2014

Daniel,

I don't know why your message didn't go to ncl-install at ucar.edu. You appear to be subscribed under the address you sent this question from.
Perhaps your subscription hadn't been approved yet.

The error below is an issue with your DISPLAY environment variable, which should be set for you automatically.

The DISPLAY environment variable is not an NCL-related thing. It's an environment variable that has to be set whenever you want to display *any* X11 applications on your screen.

How are you trying to run NCL? That is, are you running it locally from your own machine, or are you logging in remotely to the 64-bit Debian system?

If you are logging in remotely, and are using "ssh" to login, then try using "ssh -Y". This should forward the necessary authentication info needed for the Debian system to set your DISPLAY and allow you to run X11 applications.

--Mary