[ncl-install] Problems installing ncar graphics, follow up

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 27 10:42:09 MST 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 10:32 AM, "Mannucci, Anthony J (335G)" <anthony.j.mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Mary,
>
> Thanks. Actually, I am interested in NCAR graphics.
>
> I don't understand your answer in the context of a binary install. I thought that binary installs do not require that all the dependencies are also installed. (Dependencies are discussed in the context of a source install, of course).
>
> In any case, an earlier version is now installed, so our existing libraries are compatible with that.
>
> I am not a root user, so cannot use yum, etc. I have made a request to our system administrators for the latest version to be installed. They will need to resolve the various dependencies.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -Tony

Tony,

If you are compiling an NCAR Graphics C or Fortran program, you are calling NCAR Graphics routines that in turn are calling cairo routines, so you must link to cairo libraries in order for the program to compile successfully.  We don't provide cairo as part of the NCL/NCAR Graphics binary installation because this is a separate package.

If you are just using NCL, then yes, the cairo and other libraries are built into the "ncl" executable, so it's not necessary to install cairo and everything else.

We recommend that people use NCL over NCAR Graphics, if possible.  NCL is a full scripting language that provides you with file I/O, computational routines, and graphics.  NCAR Graphics only provides you with graphics, and you have to write quite a bit more code in order to get a graphic out of it.

If you are interested in finding out how and if you can switch from NCAR Graphics to NCL, let me know.  I can take a look at the type of graphics you're creating with NCAR Graphics and let you know what it would take to do this in NCL.