[ncl-install] problem with extracting pre-compiled binaries onUbuntu

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 15 09:50:06 MDT 2013

Hi Christopher,

Sorry you are having problems. It sounds like the file got corrupted somehow.

What is the size of it?  It should be 75415514 bytes:

 ls -l ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 haley ncldev 75415514 Feb  8  2013 ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz

I put the file on anonymous ftp, if you want to try getting it that way:

ftp ftp.ucar.edu
[Login as anonymous with any password]
ftp> cd pub/scd/haley
ftp> get ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz

I tried this to make sure it works, and didn't have a problem extracting the files with the command you're using:

yslogin2[558]   tar -zxf ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz
yslogin2[559]

--Mary