[ncl-install] problem with extracting pre-compiled binaries onUbuntu

Christopher Steele (SCI) Christopher.Steele at uea.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 04:59:10 MDT 2013

no I'm afraid not. It's the physical process of extraction that it's not happy with, rather than the environment setup. If I have, for example, the tar archive in the directory $HOME/NCL/  and the NCARG_ROOT environment set to $HOME/NCL in my .bashrc file then when I come to extract the data I type:

  tar -zxf ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz

I get the following error message:

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

This happens regardless of where I put the file or where the NCARG_ROOT variable points to in my .bashrc file

cheers

Christopher Steele,
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia