[ncl-install] solved/ install open-dap enabled/ 64 bit ubuntu 12.04

Sam McClatchie sam.mcclatchie at noaa.gov
Sat May 26 10:00:17 MDT 2012

Thanks for your advice, Mary. I was at a conference last week and just
got back to this. You were quite right about needing the 64-bit
libraries. Here are my notes:

smcc at nakrasana:~$ ncl
ncl: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: wrong ELF
class: ELFCLASS32
smcc at nakrasana:~$ locate libssl.so.0.9.8
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8
/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
/opt/mendeleydesktop/lib/ssl/libssl.so.0.9.8
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8
/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/libssl.so.0.9.8
smcc at nakrasana:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

I was rather surprised to see that the SSL shared libraries were not
installed on my system even though SSL was installed. I found what
looked to be the correct library on the software center (libssl0.9.8)
and installed it.

Opened a new terminal and searched again for the libraries:

smcc at nakrasana:~$ locate libssl.so.0.9.8
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8
/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
/opt/mendeleydesktop/lib/ssl/libssl.so.0.9.8
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8
/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/libssl.so.0.9.8
smcc at nakrasana:~$

This time the 64-bit libraries show up, so I pointed the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable to the 64-bit library in ~/.bashrc:
# settings for NCL smcc 5/20/2012
  export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/share
  export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8

  Started a new terminal and checked the shell variable
  smcc at nakrasana:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8

Started the open-dap enabled NCL and all is well:
smcc at nakrasana:~$ ncl
  Copyright (C) 1995-2011 - All Rights Reserved
  NCAR Command Language Version 6.0.0
  The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
  See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
ncl 0>

Let the analyses begin!

Thanks for your support.