[ncl-install] help installing ncl_ncarg-6.0.0

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon May 21 09:55:46 MDT 2012

In the future, please post your NCL questions to ncl-talk at ucar.edu, and not ncl-install at ucar.edu. The ncl-install email list is for installation questions.

The "wrf_user_getvar" function is actually an NCL script, so if you ever need to see how it is calculating a quantity, you can edit the file

$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

and search for "wrf_user_getvar".

Once you see a line that starts with:

function wrf_user_getvar

then you can start looking for "OLR".

"OLR" doesn't appear in the wrf_user_getvar function, so this means that it will simply try to find a variable called "OLR" on your file.

If you don't have such a variable, you will get an error from NCL.

I couldn't find "OLR" in any of our sample wrf output files, but I did see a script that references it:

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/graphics/NCL/Examples/OLR/index.htm

Note that this script references a file called "wrfout_d02".  The files I tried were all "wrfout_d01".

--Mary