[ncl-install] Testing 6.1.0-beta error

Ashley Penrod ahpenrod at ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 26 08:06:44 MDT 2012

I have been struggling with testing the 6.1.0-beta version of ncl for a
while now.  When I run the command "ng4ex gsun01n" to test if it the
binaries were installed ok, I get a long list of errors starting with the
following:

NCAR Graphics NCL Example <gsun01n> This example was set up to display the
output to an X11 window. Copying gsun01n.ncl Running NCL... Copyright (C)
1995-2009 - All Rights Reserved University Corporation for Atmospheric
Research NCAR Command Language Version 5.1.1 The use of this software is
governed by a License Agreement. See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more
details. fatal:syntax error: line 3311 in file
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/gsun/gsn_code.ncl before or near
windowWorkstationClass window = create name + "_x11" windowWorkstationClass
error: line 3312 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclex/gsun/gsn_code.ncl
before or near "wkFormat "wkFormat" -----------------^

I wanted to make sure it wasn't something to do with my x11 set-up, so I
tested an older version of NCL with the same command and got the figures
and all like I was supposed to. Not sure if it was something I did as the
installation is super easy and I have installed other binaries before with
no problems. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Ashley