[ncl-install] unzip ncl_ncar with Cygwin

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Dec 18 14:27:49 MST 2012

Caroline,

Sorry for the late response.  I've been on vacation.

If you are getting a "no such file or directory" it likely means that there's something wrong with the path you've typed.

It might be easier to do this:

cd
gunzip ncl*6.1.0*gz

The "cd" commands takes you to your home directory, which it sounds like that's where your file is.

The "gunzip ncl*6.1.0*gz" will gunzip the file, without having to type the whole thing exactly right. The "*" represent "wildcards", which means it will try to gunzip any file that starts with "ncl" and contains "6.1.0" somewhere in the middle and ends with ".gz".

When you launch Cygwin, you want to make sure you are launcing an Cygwin/X window, and not just a Cygwin window. This is necessary if you want to run NCL and have it display your graphics to the screen as your running the script. You can get some information about starting an Cygwin/X window from:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html

If you only care about sending your graphics to a PostScript, PDF, or PNG file, then you can do this from a Cygwin window.

--Mary