[ncl-install] unzip ncl_ncar with Cygwin

Caroline Cleroux Caroline.Cleroux at nioz.nl
Fri Dec 14 01:09:36 MST 2012

Hello
I am having problem to install NCL on my computer. I have a PC and so I installed Cygwin on my machine. I followed very precisely the instructions for “installing and running NCL under Cygwin/X (windows) http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml#Troubleshooting
I am now stuck at the step “Install NCL”, when I type in the Cygwin window “gunzip /cygwin/home/CCleroux/ncl_ncar-6.1.0.CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64_i686.tar.gz" I have an error message “No such file or directory”. I don’t understand it because it looks like all my Cygwin location/paths are correct (I have a home with my name) and I do have the 'ncl_ncar' file in my Cygwin/home so I don’t understand what’s wrong.

I re-installed the Cygwin program twice, all went well. When I launch Cygwin, I have 2 icones popping up in my task bar, one with a big black X circled by an orange shape and one with a big blue T and a big orange X.

I am sorry to ask this question, it sounds a stupid problem but I am stuck with it for 2 days.

Thanks in advance for the help>

Caroline
Caroline Cleroux
Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ)
Landsdiep 4
1797 SZ Den Hoorn (Texel)
The Netherlands
(+31) 0222 369 351