[ncl-install] NCAR Graphics on an IBM Sandybridge cluster

George Vandenberghe george.vandenberghe at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 12 18:45:36 MST 2012

I don't have root on this cluster. There is some resistance to
installing additional packages because of the (small) decrement they
make on available memory when a part of system directories so I often do
nonstandard nonroot installations on the parallel filesystem instead.
I had to install pixman-1 (trivial) cairo(hard), expat (trivial),  and
bz2 (trivial).   Once I did this though, the gks library failed to
compile properly because it needed freetype includes whose location has
moved to a subdirectory of /usr/include/freetype2. I put these
into the (also changed) X search path and got everything except idt to
compile and function properly. Locally built  idt isn't going to work
until and unless I get a libXaw.a from our admins.
There is something very similar with a different name out there but I'm
outside the NCEP secure environment and can't see it.. will check
tomorrow.  Meanwhile the prebuilt binary does work and I seem to be able
to use ifort in ncargf77 if I also include -lgfortran.   We are an ifort
shop at NCEP.   The prebuilt binaries include idt.  One of our  fossil
uses is to create 8 bit pixel xwd images with ictrans -D xwd.   This
still works. Overall I think I have what I need for a functional NCL 6.1
and have dusted off some rusty building skills in the process
Thanks for help.