[ncl-install] NCAR Graphics on an IBM Sandybridge cluster

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 12 18:30:45 MST 2012

George,

Dave is right, as of 6.1.0, cairo and dependent libraries are required for building NCL and NCAR Graphics V6.1.0 from source code (and for compiling NCAR Graphics programs).

It's usually pretty straightforward to install the required libraries for a Linux system. Please see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml#cairo

It says this:

You can also install many of these packages on Linux systems using a package installer like yum apt-get, orYaST, and on a Mac system using MacPorts. The package(s) to install have names like "libcairo-devel", "libpixman-devel", "libfontconfig-devel", etc. It is very likely that once you install "libcairo-devel", the other packages will get installed automatically, so check for this before you install all the packages.

Please give this a try and let us know if it works. I'd like to improve the documentation if more information is needed.