[ncl-install] Troubles on Ubuntu 11.10 although setting the environmental variables

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 23 08:21:31 MDT 2012

Hi Jen,

There are a couple of things wrong here.

First, if you installed NCL to /usr/local, then NCARG_ROOT should be set to /usr/local, and not /usr/local/bin, which is what you had below.

Secondly, you set up all these environment variables, but then you typed:

    sudo ng4ex gsun01n

This effectively opens up a new shell to run the "ng4ex" command in, and this new shell doesn't have all the environment variables that you just set.

I'm not sure why you have "sudo" in there, but try just this:

export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib

ng4ex gsun01n

I'm not sure you need the LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting either. Try not setting this and see what happens.

Once you get the environment variables set to where the "ng4ex" command works, you'll want to set
these in your .profile or .bashrc file, so they get set automatically when you login.

--Mary